PE Sealant Cord Backer Rod Per Metre
KSh20.00 – KSh50.00
16 People watching this product now!
10 mm, 15 mm, 20 mm, 25 mm, 30 mm
PE Sealant Cord or Backer Rod.
Available Thicknesses are 10 mm, 15 mm, 20 mm, 25 mm and 30 mm
- Sealant cods are usually round, flexible lengths of foam that are used as a “backing” in joints or cracks to help control the amount of sealant/caulking used and create a back stop. Many sizes/diameters are available for optimal fitting to the size of the joint being sealed. Besides shape, an important attribute is the variety of foam cell structure types: closed cell, open cell, and bi-cellular. It’s important to understand that cell structure makes a critical difference when it comes to irregular joint application, the desired flexibility in the joint, or sealant being used. Sealant cord material is made from polyethylene foam, making it compatible with the common industry joint sealants or caulking.
- Sealant backer rods are made of closed cell polyethylene foam and used in expansion and contraction joints to minimize the depth and amount of the sealant used. It provides a reliable backfill on building joints and this is characterized through its excellent compatibility with all standard sealing materials. It is used for vertical and horizontal joints in interiors and exteriors.
- It is also used for sealing gaps in internal wall joints, windows and draft proofing.
- It is also used together with expansion joint filler to fill expansion gaps
Benefits of Sealant cords.
- Increase elasticity in the joint sealant.
- Reduce caulk consumption by controlling sealant depth this prevents excessive use of caulking or sealant.
- Force adhesive into contact with the sides of the joint creating an hour-glass shape for a superior bond.
- Create a “bond-breaker” which allows the joint to be easily cleaned out and refilled as needed over time.
Closed cell foam is distinct in that its cells are totally enclosed by its walls and not interconnecting with other cells. This means the material will not wick moisture making it suitable for joints with a high presence of water or dampness. Sealants, caulking or other chinking materials will stick more easily to closed cell backer rods which have a better bonding surface area than an open cell product.
- Glazing installations
- Window and door applications
- Expansion joints
- Curtain wall joints
- Log construction
- Pavement joints and repairs
- Pre-cast units and copings.
Some closed cell backer rods are crosslinked PE, creating a product that not only resists moisture, but also can withstand sealant temperatures making it an ideal material for hot-pour sealants.
- Contraction and expansion joints of concrete highways
- Parking Lots.